Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap on Solaris 9 and Solaris 10 not working right? Going way too slow.

From: jayrhine () comcast net
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 13:08:28 +0000

From: jayrhine () comcast net
This sounds like a pcap buffering issue. Do your versions of solaris use
BPF or DLPI or ...? If BPF, it could be that putting the pcap descriptor
into BIOCIMMEDIATE mode would help:

I'm not sure.  Do you know of an easy way to check?  Otherwise, I'll have to
look into it ...

removing the #ifdef OPENBSD and possibly changing the constant to
whatever is found in your /usr/include/net/bpf.h and then test the
performance, this would be a big help. One of the reasons why this
patch wasn't applied is that we weren't sure which systems it should
be used on.

Okay, I tried this quickly..  The constant seemed the same in Solaris as you had
for OpenBSD, but I did not have a net/bpf.h on my system, so I'm basing that on
a file I browsed on line.  After applying the patch, nmap did not discover any
open no ports.  Any thoughts?

Correction.  I forget to specify the -v option when I tested it so it was not showing me the ports as it discovered it,
so I thought it was not finding any.  It actually appears to be behaving the same after the change.

Thanks!