Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE script] vhosts on the same ip

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:26:20 -0700

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 01:31:28PM +0200, Sven Klemm wrote:

I've written a NSE script that queries search.live.com for host names
using the same IP.

That's a neat idea.

I don't like the fact that it uses an external search engine to get
this information but I think the usefulness of the information
outweighs this.

This is an issue we've seen with many scripts so far.  I think we
should probably add a category for scripts which query 3rd party
databases (search engines, dns servers, etc.) and it should also be
documented in the script description.  I'm adding this to the Nmap
TODO in case anyone wants to take it.  I think the key goals are:

  o Decide on category name
  o Add the category to the relevant scripts
  o Document the category in docs/scripting.xml
  o Add the details to the script description field for each of the
    scripts.

Cheers,
-F