Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] ASN

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 16:58:50 +0100

On 06/09/2008 06:09, David Fifield wrote:
One other thing. The DNS queries in ASN.nse don't work with the caching
DNS server in my DSL modem. If I use a script arg and use the DNS server
the modem is using it works fine. But without it there's a timeout of 40
seconds (4 times 10 seconds I guess) per host. Maybe the script could
bail out if the first query times out, and mark that it has done so in
the registry so other instances of the script don't waste their time?
Do you have any idea why the ASN queries are disliked by your modem's
DNS caching server?

I can have ASN.nse bail if we can't get responses from any dns servers
and, as you say, inform other threads not to bother trying.  I can also
reduce the number of retries by passing options.sendCount to dns.query
which means a wait of 10 seconds per dns server.
This then leaves the matter of the timeout in dns.lua.  I think 10
seconds is a bit long for most situations.  3 might be more reasonable?
How about something similar to the the way we handled timeouts in
http.lua, based on nmap_timing()?  Something like 1s, 2s, 3s, 5s, 7s,
10s for T5 to T0.

Regards,

jah