Nmap Development mailing list archives

Still trouble with non-ASCII user names on Windows--please test

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 13:07:28 -0600

Hi,

This morning after the 4.75 release my email contained a bunch of new
automatic Zenmap crash reports, all for the same crash:

'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x9c in position 28: unexpected code byte
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=142490&atid=752647&set=custom&_assigned_to=1897047&_status=1&_category=100&_group=100

I have committed what I think is a fix but I need people to test it.
It's unfortunate that this error wasn't discovered until a few hours
after the release.

I believe this problem only affects Windows users who have a non-ASCII
character in their user name. If you are such a user (or are able to
create such an account on your Windows box), and you have the
wherewithal to test a Subversion checkout of Zenmap on Windows, please
try r10029 and write back to say if it crashes on startup or runs fine.

I was pretty bummed, thinking this bug was a huge regression, but on
second thought I don't think this will hit anyone who wouldn't have been
hit by the "unable to open database file" bug described here:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q3/0482.html

Still, it's not nice for people whose names can't be written in just
ASCII.

David Fifield