Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Offering some NSE help :)

From: "Diman Todorov" <diman.todorov () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 17:08:23 +0200

Actually porting NASL scripts is not a task we're investing much
effort into. For one, most NASL scripts are under a restrictive
license. And also, while Nessus has a large script database, the
magnitude of the scripts are quite old and maybe defunct. Porting
scripts is also not easier than writing scripts from scratch. In the
past there have been a few efforts to automatically port scripts from
other platforms to NSE, most of them fizzled away (for various
reasons).

A good source for NSE information is the Nmap book. You can find most
of the chapter on NSE here http://nmap.org/book/nse.html I would
recommend buying the Nmap book when it is finally released (nudge,
nudge, Fyodor ;).

Recently NSE got a lot of library functionality for working with DNS,
SNMP and interacting with the interweb (HTTP, HTML, XMLRPC etc.)

Depending on your interest you could write scripts in NSE or extend
the NSE standard library. To get an idea of what can be done with NSE
and what are its limitations I recommend looking through the existing
NSE scripts (there are not that many of them :) and skimming through
the nmap-dev archives which have a few interesting threads discussing
strengths and weaknesses of NSE.

cheers,
Diman