Nmap Development mailing list archives

Using Samba code?

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:28:06 -0500

Hey all,

I'm still working on SMB stuff, and there's a couple bits of Samba code
that I'm planning to indirectly use (that is, to translate to Lua or
just to reference). I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any
licensing issues (both projects are GPL, I think, but I'd rather be on
the safe side).

The main piece to convert to Lua is Samba's NT error codes. SMB has
about 500 different error conditions, which are all documented in
Samba's source. Is that ok to use? Here's an online copy:
http://www.sfr-fresh.com/unix/misc/mc-4.6.1.tar.gz:a/mc-4.6.1/vfs/samba/include/nterr.h

The other piece is the MSRPC function prototypes, but that's so indirect
that I don't know if it even counts as a derivative work. Here's the
file in particular:
http://websvn.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/librpc/idl/samr.idl?view=markup

Thanks!

Ron