Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] MS08-067 check

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 04:47:29 -0600

jah wrote:
On 05/11/2008 22:07, Ron wrote:
Hi Ron,

I tried your script against an unpatched box and it crashed first time
and reported the box as not vulnerable.  After rebooting it reported the
box as vulnerable and didn't crash it.  I tried numerous times (I lost
count but it was upwards of 70) to get it to crash again without
success.  So then I rebooted the box again and lo and behold it crashed
first time again (and was reported as not vulnerable).  There seems to
be something about the state of the machine that only changes between
reboots...

Anyway, it correctly reports non-vulnerable boxes, correctly reports
vulnerable ones if svchost doesn't crash, but incorrectly reports as
non-vulnerable if svchost does crash.  I've got a script-trace of the
latter if you want it.

Nice work.

jah

The only thing I have left to fix on this is the issue where crashed
boxes return "not vulnerable" -- I'm trying to resolve that now, but,
naturally, I am unable to crash any of my test systems. It seems like
immediately after a reboot, the crash doesn't happen (although I could
be wrong). I'm going to leave the test boxes up overnight and hope I can
crash them in the morning (I don't count right now as morning, even if
it IS 4:45am.. :) ).

Anyway, I'd like to get the output of a -d3 and/or a pcap of the crash
so I can see what's going wrong. If somebody can crash a system with
this script, can you send me the result?

I can't avoid crashing stuff, but I'd at least like to output the proper
result if I do.

Also, the script-trace might be helpful, if you still have it.

Ron

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org/