Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: OS fingerprint extraction quality -- solved in r11437

From: Michael Head <mrhead () us ibm com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 23:36:22 -0500

David wrote on 12/19/2008 05:17:49 PM:

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:23:55PM -0500, Michael Head wrote:
I've been using nmap to collect information for internal asset
discovery
and verification processes. I'm using the OS detection, service scan,
and
full complement of service probes, and I'm finding that the quality of
OS
fingerprints achievable diminishes substantially when I scan more than
few hosts (from any of several Windows (XP, 2003) installations). When
scan each host individually with a single call to nmap, those same
target
systems return much improved fingerprints.

Thanks to everyone who ran tests and sent in suggestions. Trent Snyder
dug through a packet capture and found the cause of the problem. It's
now fixed, so give it a try.

Awesome. I'll try out on Monday, and thanks for the details on the
problem/solution!

mike

David Fifield