Nmap Development mailing list archives

Random targets and IPv6 bug

From: "Henri Doreau" <henri.doreau () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:41:23 +0100

Hello,

I noticed that nmap doesn't report the incompatibility between random
targets and ipv6 switch.

# nmap -PN -p80 -iR 2 -6

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-01-18 22:26 CET
Failed to resolve given IPv6 hostname/IP: 57.235.196.178.  Note that
you can't use '/mask' or '[1-4,7,100-]' style ranges for IPv6.  Error
code 8: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
Failed to resolve given IPv6 hostname/IP: 131.117.175.66.  Note that
you can't use '/mask' or '[1-4,7,100-]' style ranges for IPv6.  Error
code 8: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
WARNING: No targets were specified, so 0 hosts scanned.
Nmap done: 0 IP addresses (0 hosts up) scanned in 1.61 seconds

According to the huge number of addresses in IPv6, I don't know if it
is really useful for nmap to support it. Most of the addresses
generated might be unused. But just tell me if you disagree and I
could write a patch to do this, else the attached one will force nmap
to exit with the usual error message if -iR and -6 options are
selected at the same time.

Cheers

Henri