Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Submit information text without whitespace

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 02:16:57 -0800

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:59:10AM +0200, Henri Salo wrote:
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:22:59AM -0800, bensonk () acm wwu edu wrote:
"Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at
<http://nmap.org/submit/>."
I would like to suggest that if it is changed, it be changed to use the
angle bracket syntax.

I can't remember where I heard that, but I think somewhere there is a
spec that defines how to represent URLs in various media.

Benson

I thought about the same before sending that email to the list, but I
didn't know any good references to that syntax. It is the best way to
put addresses to programs in my opinion and I suggest it should be taken
to use.

The problem with angle brackets is that as soon as the Nmap output
ends up on an HTML page (which happens all the time), the bracketed
values get misinterpreted as an unknown tag and disappear.  Of course
the brackets SHOULD be escaped to &lt; and the like, but that doesn't
mean they always are.

Cheers,
-F