Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE using 100% CPU and effectively hanging until timeout

From: Vlatko Kosturjak <kost () linux hr>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 08:11:06 +0100

Brandon Enright wrote:
Rather than chain a bunch of issues into one long thread, I'll start a
new one regarding NSE behaving oddly.
debug info was printed.
[..]
script engine is doing during this time?  Would doing something like
attaching GDB to the running process when I see the issue happen work?
I've never tried to debug a running process on Linux.

I don't know what specific info you're looking regarding gdb or debuging
a running process on Linux, but I can give you some basics. You do:
gdb -p <pid>
gdb will attach to the process of <pid> and pause the execution of the
program, here you can issue all the gdb commands(like bt,i,..) you want
or say "cont" to continue executing, so you can break(back to gdb) when
it reaches critical point (scripts hanging) if it's not there yet.

After you finish debugging, you can say "detach". Gdb will detach from
from the process, and then you can "quit" (you can do just quit without
detach, gdb will ask you)...

If there's anything specific you need, don't hesistate to ask.

Kost