Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [nmap-svn] r11551 - ncat (SO_DEBUG)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 21:43:06 -0800

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:00:08PM -0600, Kris Katterjohn wrote:

When socket debugging is enabled using this socket option, detailed data is
available through trpt (or sometimes dmesg) about packets sent and received
(however Linux doesn't seem to make any real use of this).

Honestly I'm not using it for anything at the moment, but it's offered in
various other programs such as ping, socat and other nc incarnations.  So on
top of it having some importance to people since it's being offered in many
similar programs, there's my deep, personal, often problematic desire to
analyze things as much as possible :)

I have no problem removing this if you don't like it.

Hi Kris.  Let's treat this as a callout for anyone whow wants this -D
(SO_DEBUG) feature to say so.  And preferably they can explain how
they plan to use it, as that might benefit others.

If nobody announces a need for SO_DEBUG in a few days, let's take it
out.  There is no point adding code and complexity and using an option
letter for a feature if we can't identify anyone who actually wants
it.  The patch will stay archived, so we could always put it back in
if we see more demand for it in the future.

Also, if we keep it in, we might as well document it in the man page.

Cheers,
-F