Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Topology icon file format crash

From: Daniel Johnson <daniel.johnson31 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:37:21 -0500

On Feb 3, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Daniel Johnson wrote:

On Feb 3, 2009, at 3:56 PM, David Fifield wrote:

Hi,

I had gotten a handful of crash reports for this crash in Zenmap:

File "/sw/lib/python2.5/site-packages/radialnet/gui/Image.py", line 53, in get_pixbuf
self.__cache[icon + image_type] = gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file(file)
GError: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/sw/ share/zenmap/pixmaps/radialnet/padlock.png'

It seems to only happen on Mac OS X with a Fink installation (as
suggested by the /sw prefix). I found a tester from a report today and we found that just resaving the image files in the GIMP made Fink's GTK+ open them. So this should be fixed in the future. The reporter is going to open a bug report with Fink too because this bug might affect other
programs.

David Fifield

This issue is known and being worked on. For some reason, the latest gtk+2 can't seem to find the mime database when run as root, but works fine when run as a normal user. There's discussion here: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.macosx.fink.beginners/22536

Daniel

Just to follow up, I understand better what's going on here. Apple has sudo configured to be very conservative, scrubbing all but a couple of know environment variables. When running zenmap with sudo, the XDG_* variables aren't passed on and gtk can't find the appropriate databases. I find that if I use sudo -s instead, the variables do get set and zenmap works. Also, explicitly running . /sw/bin/init.sh from a root shell before calling zenmap will definitely set things up correctly. This USED to work correctly even when XDG_* was scrubbed, so something must have changed with how gtk does this lookup.

Daniel