Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: More Linux routing problems

From: PGNet <pgnet.trash+nmap () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:24:25 -0800

hi david,

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:05 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
_is_ it at all possible to do "this" sort of nmap scan from a shared host?

Unprivileged users are restricted in the types of scans they can do. UDP
is one of the root-only scans. Even if you can read /proc/net/route as
an unprivileged user, the OS won't let you create the raw sockets that
you need.

that's the bottom line, it seems ...

for external scans of my own network, then, the only option looks like
an external box with root privs.  likely a VPS would do the trick;
shame that that can't "somehow" be done from a shared host :-/

i suppose there's a way that i could build nmap onto a xen guest
instance inside my lan, but i'm not at all clear (yet) what the effect
of trying to nmap-scan my own network's external IPs from inside is

anyway, thans for clarifying -- and for the help.