Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Google/Nmap SoC 2009 Project Ideas?

From: Daniel Roethlisberger <daniel () roe ch>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:12:51 +0100

Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com> 2009-03-09:
Daniel Roethlisberger wrote:
o Full IPv6 support in every aspect of Nmap.  I am seeing IPv6 on
  the rise, already over 50% of my personal incoming email is
  received over IPv6!  The available v4 pool wont last much longer
  than perhaps three years.  Nmap should get ready for the future
  as well and implement comprehensive support for IPv6.

I completely agree; however, there are some implementation
details to consider when talking about the raw scans.  It seems
to be a bit difficult to implement cleanly given Nmap's current
IPv4 setup, or in ways that are also portable.

I posted a small (now year-old) analysis of the situation:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q1/0458.html

Though there could be things that I've missed, which would be
fortunate for Nmap.  I seem to remember a response to some IPv6
thread which had some interesting details... I need to dig that
up some time since unfortunately I don't think I ever got
around to replying to it.

Here's a recent thread from linux-netdev about IPv6 raw sockets:
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-netdev/2009/1/15/4732024

Haven't got time to dig deeper into this right now, but if
somebody prepares (minimal) test code I can check whether it is
portable to FreeBSD, OpenBSD and possibly also Solaris.

--
Daniel Roethlisberger
http://daniel.roe.ch/