Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Ncat proxy authentication

From: "Thomas Buchanan" <TBuchanan () thecompassgrp net>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:40:58 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: nmap-dev-bounces () insecure org
[mailto:nmap-dev-bounces () insecure org] On Behalf Of Thomas Buchanan
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 2:09 PM
To: David Fifield
Cc: nmap-dev () insecure org
Subject: Re: Ncat proxy authentication
<snip>
doesn't seem to run correctly.  I get the following error on  the
server
side as soon as a connection is made to it, and the program exits:

$ ./ncat.exe -vvv -l --proxy-type http --proxy-auth user:pass 8080
Ncat version 4.85BETA7 ( http://nmap.org/ncat )
Listening on 0.0.0.0:8080
fork: No error

Answering my own emails now, sorry.

Reading through the source code a bit reveals why this occurs:

From ncat/sys_wrap.c lines 67-74:
    /* We should get to a point where Fork() is never called on Windows,
     * or we come up with some solution to fake fork(), but until then
     * we'll just die if fork() is attempted here.
     */
    ret = -1;
#endif
    if(ret < 0)
        die("fork");

So, since ncat_proxy.c uses a simple forking HTTP proxy design, it seems
obvious that this won't work on Windows, at least for now.

So, back to my Linux box for this feature for the time being.

Thanks,

Thomas