Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: non existent script called with --script=all

From: Michael Pattrick <mpattrick () rhinovirus org>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:01:15 -0400

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Ron <ron () skullsecurity net> wrote:
My thought is, if it's generated on the fly, you wouldn't ever need to
write to the file. That would solve all your issues. The downside, I
suppose, is that it wouldn't be scalable.

We could always rely on the file at first, but if any inconsistencies
are detected fall back on regenerating the script DB; saving the file
is the user is a superuser but only keeping it in memory if the user
is unprivileged. Or perhaps make missing files a warning instead of a
fatal error; I.E., "Warning: script something.nse is missing. Run nmap
--scrupt-updatedb to clear this warning, continuing with scan.".

Or as Fyodor pointed out, as long as the database update is done in a
sterile folder, this isn't a big deal anyways :p

-Michael