Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [nmap-svn] r13330 - nmap

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 01:17:58 -0600

Hi David,

Author: batrick
Date: Sun May 17 13:50:40 2009
New Revision: 13330

Modified:
   nmap/nse_nsock.cc

Log:
Cleaned up the whitespace in nse_nsock.cc as per David's suggestion (I agree
with it). The whitespace was various styles in often confusing places.
The whitespace also had many evil tabs. I used the indent program and
tried to follow the whitespace of the rest of NSE C code as closely as
possible.

What options did you use for the indent command? We could settle on a
standard and put it in HACKING like we have a sample .vimrc excerpt.

I've attached the .indent.pro file.

From looking quickly at the diff the changes look good, except that I
think in this case the first line matches the usage in the rest of Nmap:

-static int l_nsock_connect(lua_State *L);
+static int l_nsock_connect(lua_State * L);

You mean where the pointer (asterisk) is placed? I couldn't find a way
to fix this. indent does a lot it's own whitespace changes that are
unconfigurable. In the end I went ahead and used it because it
accomplished the main goals in mind: (1) get rid of the tabs and (2)
standardize the whitespace across the file. Keeping it similar to
other NSE C code was a secondary (but important) goal.

I'm not sure I'd advocate using indent for the future in HACKING. If
we wanted to standardize the C code format we should probably look for
a program with more options to choose from.

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"Let all men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely
ford that see the shallows."

- Benjamin Franklin