Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.85BETA7 Released!

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:31:17 -0600

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 10:25:48AM -0400, henry.nymann () valeosylvania com wrote:
David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote on 04/02/2009 10:02:43 AM:
I downloaded and tried the new beta 7 version this morning. Specifically,
I'm running it on a Windows 2003 SP2 server, and I uninstalled beta 6
first.  However, I am not getting the new messages that this e-mail
references, so does that mean something did not update correctly on my
server?  Doing a "Help | About" confirms the beta 7 version.

If you are getting the longer error messages, then the script is working
like it is supposed to. Unfortunately the error messages could be from a
variety of causes and the script can't differentiate between all of
them. For NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND for example, if the remote
operating system is not Windows, then it is not infected. But it could
be that the service required to do detection (the "browser service") has
crashed, and then you can't test infection remotely. You will have to
find that computer and check it locally.

I'll show you a portion of the output I am getting so that things are
clear.

Host vls-sey-w01411.seymour.vls.valeo (10.106.17.83) is up, received
user-set (0.020s latency).
Scanned at 2009-04-02 08:58:18 Eastern Daylight Time for 1s
Interesting ports on vls-sey-w01411.seymour.vls.valeo (10.106.17.83):
PORT    STATE SERVICE      REASON
445/tcp open  microsoft-ds syn-ack

Host script results:
|  smb-check-vulns:
|  MS08-067: Check disabled (remove 'safe=1' argument to run)
|  Conficker: NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
|_ regsvc DoS: Check disabled (add --script-args=unsafe=1 to run)
Final times for host: srtt: 20000 rttvar: 20000  to: 100000

Okay, that output looks like it is still from 4.85BETA6. It is possible
that you have the BETA7 of Zenmap installed but only the BETA6 of Nmap.
Try running
        nmap --version
You should be able to do that within Zenmap. If it says something before
4.85BETA7, then you will have to find where the old version is installed
and remove it.

David Fifield