Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE suggestion (NSE next hop MAC address)

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:21:14 -0600

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:09:53PM -0400, Michael Pattrick wrote:
On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:57:48AM -0400, Michael Pattrick wrote:
I find it kind of odd that NSE offers functions to send raw ethernet
frames but no good way to get the next hop mac address; or am I
missing something? I suggest that another LUA variable is added under
the 'nmap' class which reveals the next hop MAC address for the
current host.

Good idea!  Do you want to write a patch?  Unless someone suggests a
better way, it sounds like it is worth applying.  I would like to see
the raw packet sending and sniffing NSE functionality used more, as a
lot of fun can be had with that!

Indeed, attached is a patch that creates a new member variable named
mac_next_hop. I had considered setting mac_addr as the next hop
instead of nil, but thought better then that as it goes against the
documentations.

The patch looks fine. All it lacks is some documentation. Would you
document it in the proper place in scripting.xml? Then I think it can be
applied.

David Fifield