Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: DNS based service discovery script

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:17:10 -0600

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:42:32PM +0530, Ravipriya Thushara wrote:
I'm still learning Lua and haven't much idea on Nmap scripts yet. But
I'll learn them soon and start script soon. By now I don't have access
to a Mac OS  X machine. So i downloaded and installed Apple iTune on
my windows machine. It have opened required ports and which can use
for the script.

First you will want to make sure that you can scan port 5353 and find it
open. You will want to run a command like this:

nmap -F -sU <target>

(Replace "<target>" with the IP address of the host running DNS-SD.) You
are looking for output like this:

Not shown: 99 open|filtered ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
5353/udp open  zeroconf

If you are using the 5.00 release, the port won't be "open" but
"open|filtered", perhaps like this:

All 100 scanned ports are open|filtered

But the important thing is that it is either "open" or "open|filtered".
Since this is your first script, I recommend first writing something
simple that just produces dummy output, like

PORT     STATE SERVICE
5353/udp open  zeroconf
|_ dns-sd: Hello, world!

You will want to read the book chapter on NSE at
http://nmap.org/book/nse.html, especially the tutorial at
http://nmap.org/book/nse-tutorial.html. Remember that to build the DNS
packets you should use the dns library, if possible.
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/lib/dns.html.

David Fifield