Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: wordlists for Ncrack

From: ithilgore <ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 03:07:27 +0300

Brandon Enright wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 02:34:26 +0300
ithilgore <ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com> wrote:

...snip...
That's probably a nice source to use some passwords. The question is:
how would you choose the top 100-500 passwords? By doing a quick
parsing at your list, the only passwords with a frequency of more
than 1, were "frag" "life" and who-would-guess "phpbb" but that's
only 3.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you mean that after excluding the list
you already have, there are only 3 new ones?  At the bottom of this
email I've included the top 500 passwords.  Even the 500th in this list
appeared 18 times.

Brandon

You are right. I was checking the already cracked ones which didn't include the
  frequency and 'cut -d ":" -f 2' on the cracked.txt misguided me by regarding
life and life:) as the same passwords and thus giving them a frequency of more
than 1 leading me to believe that the file normally contained duplicate or
otherwise all passwords for all the times they appeared.
Anyway, the list looks really valuable. I suppose there isn't any
permission/license issue to have that list shipped with Ncrack or as part of
other lists included in it?

-- ithilgore