Nmap Development mailing list archives

Socket handle leak in http.lua

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:47:04 -0500

Hi all,

While doing a large scan with a http script, we ran into an issue with running out of sockets fairly quickly. Brandon pointed me at the same issue occurring almost exactly a year ago, but the patch had already been applied and doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

We traced it to the tryssl() function. tryssl() takes the two options, "tcp" and "ssl". If we force opt1 to "tcp" and comment out the part where it tries opt2, the problem goes away.

I traced through tryssl() and opencon(), and neither had any obvious socket leaks. I don't know why removing the ssl attempt fixes the problem.

Anybody else have any ideas?
Ron