Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Query Related to NMap v5.0

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 16:11:25 -0700

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 04:21:03PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:05:53AM -0700, Prasad Kamath wrote:
I have a query related to NMap and I hope you will spare some time
from your busy schedule to help me out.

I am using NMap v5.0 and I am using the local Tata Indicom wireless
CDMA Internet connection. I realized that NMap doesn't work /
scan over my wireless network because when I tried the same
installable from a wired LAN, it worked. Is there any way I can
make NMap work over a wireless CDMA network or a wi-fi network? Even
the Nessus server cannot register over the Tata Indicom wireless
netwrok. Any way to make both of these tools work?

I am the local administrator. This is the error message NMap throws:

WARNING: Using raw sockets because ppp2 is not an ethernet device. This probably won't work on Windows.

socket troubles in UltraScanInfo::Init: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access
permissions.

 (10013)

Nmap on Windows can only scan over Ethernet devices. This is because
Windows restricts the use of raw sockets that Nmap needs for other types
of devices. Your options are to run Nmap with the --unprivileged option
to disable raw scans, or to use another operating system to scan over
the CDMA device.

Or to add Windows PPP interface support for Nmap and submit a patch
:).  Seriously, it would be great if we could address this problem
somehow.  As we all know, Microsoft removed raw sockets from Windows
XP SP2 in a bizarre and rediculous attempt to appear
security-sonscious.  But maybe they have thought better of it by now?
Can someone with Vista or Windows 7 installed test for raw socket
support and let us know if it works now?  Please report the 'winver'
details too since such things can be SP-specific.  Also, I have heard
that Windows Server 2003 and 2008 support raw sockets again, but some
validation would be nice.

Thanks,
Fyodor