Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE PJL proof of concept

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:24:06 -0600

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:16:43AM -0700, Aaron Leininger wrote:
OK. I have the proof of concept w/ script arg support working in a
rudimentary way. One little issue I can't seem to resolve is that I
can't seem to send an argument with a space in it...even if
encapsulated in quotes.

If no script argument is supplied, it will kick out a statement asking
for the user to supply an argument. I'd love to find a way to do a
default ready message instead but when I tried pulling the return
commands outside of the if-then-else statement, I got nothing to work.

If there's a PJL command to remove a custom message and restore the
printer's default, I think that would make a good default behavior.

$nmap -p9100 --script-trace --script-args msg="longtest message" --script=./hptelnet3.nse printerip

I bet you can make this work with

$nmap -p9100 --script-trace --script-args 'msg="longtest message"' --script=./hptelnet3.nse printerip

The problem is that the shell is removing the double quotes before NSE
can see them.

However I do think that syntax like this should be supported:

--script-args 'msg=longtest message'

That is, I don't see a downside to allowing whitespace as part of a
string without quoting.

David Fifield