Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE without ping or port scanning: interface ideas

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:20:36 -0500

On Jul 10, 2009, at 2:40 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:

nmap -sC -sP -PN
This is what I used in my tests. A problem is the seemingly
contradictory options -sP -PN. You have to think of -sP not as "ping
scan" but as "don't port scan."

nmap -sC -sL
This one is nice because -sL already means "no ping or port scan."
However it means that -sL is no longer a guaranteed "safe" scan that
doesn't contact the targets.

nmap -sC -PN -s0
-s0 is a made-up option that means "don't port scan," analogous to - PN.
-sN would be a better match but that is already NULL scan.

None of these choices is compelling so I'm open to other ideas.

I would favor a single option that would trigger this mode instead of combining options. During security tests, troubleshooting and development it would be useful in the future to be able to invoke nmap in "engine" or "script only" mode. This would put nmap a step closer to being even more useful as a vulnerability assessment engine.

My suggestions would be along the lines of:

-c, --core
-e, --engine
-u, --utility

Another idea I'd like to solicit comments on is to allow -p to be used
with -sP -sC. The port list would be a list of ports that are assumed to
be open on each host, without doing a port scan. This would allow
running port scripts, not just host scripts, with -sP. Assuming the
ports to be open would work much the same way as -PN assumes hosts to be up.

Sound perfect.

Tom