Nmap Development mailing list archives

November 2009 OS detection highlights

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:55:53 -0700

Here are the highlights from OS submissions from May to November 2009.

Line count went from 35907 to 41990 (+6083, +17%).
Fingerprint count went from 2003 to 2345 (+342, +17%).

New vendors:
2FXS, AirSpan, Allworx, Blackboard, Casio, Chip PC, Chumby, Cognex,
Digitus, Elsag Datamat, Free, HID, HW group, Icom, Lyngsoe, NEC,
Novatel, OneAccess, Palmmicro, Papouch, Pingtel, RF Code, ReactOS,
Riverbed, Schweitzer Engineering, Seiko, Star Micronics, StorageTek,
Stratus, Tandem, Telex, Tripp Lite, Ubicom, Ubiquiti, Vilar, Vonage,
Wind River, Xirrus, cab.
Removed vendors:
Archos, Cisco-Linksys, Colubris, Infoblox, Ingrian, Occam, Schneider.

New device types:
hub (1).
No removed device types.

A graph of the growth of nmap-os-db compared to nmap-os-fingerprints.
http://www.bamsoftware.com/wiki/uploads/Nmap/os-db-size-2009.png

There weren't a lot of interesting prints this go-round. We now have
some for Linux 2.6.31 and Mac OS X 10.6. Here are other noteworthy ones.

Linux 1.0.9
        This is our first Linux 1.0 fingerprint. I asked the submitter
        the circumstances of how he had it running, and he said he
        recently reinstalled his first copy of Slackware on a 486. Linux
        1.0.9 dates from April 1994. linux-1.0.tar.gz is only 1.2 MB.
        http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v1.0/

Android 1.5 (Linux 2.6.27)
        This appears to be distinguishable from generic Linux systems.

HP MPE/iX 7.5
        On operating system for the HP 3000, a "minicomputer."
        http://www.hp.com/products1/evolution/e3000/mpeix/index.html
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Multi-Programming_Executive

ReactOS 0.3.7
        This is a free operating system based on the architecture of
        Windows NT.
        http://www.reactos.org/

David Fifield