Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: ncat suggestions...‏

From: the_chill <malte_simon () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:34:01 -0800 (PST)

The changes make it more easy for a netcat or sbd user to work with ncat...
and reduce the need of typing.

1. Make the following aliases:
-z = --send-only --recv-only
-z is the zereo i/o mode in nc so it will be the same if I type in ncat
--send-only --recv-only or if I type ncat -z

-i = -d
There are already separate -i and -d options. -i is the idle timeout and
-d is the delay between sends.
I thought name -i and -d for the delay between sends but I don't recognize
that -i is in use.

-L = -l -k

This one is reasonable, but our -l -k doesn't work exactly like -L works
on some Windows Netcat. (As I understand; I haven't tried it.) -L
listens for a new connection after the first connection has finished,
but -l -k keeps listening up to the connection limit while connections
are ongoing; it doesn't just respawn itself. You can connect with two
clients at the same time with ncat -l -k.

O.K. it is not the same but it will reduce the typing and in practice -l -k
is just an "improved" way of handling such a thing compared to netcat's -L.

-V = -version
nmap -V prints the Version to

would be possible to hack in special cases for these two but I don't
like it.

kk all right

-p for choosing a port to connect / listen

Is ther a option (-r X) to respawn X secents after a connect (-r0 = -l
-k)

No. This is probably better done with a shell one-liner. -r 0 would not
be exactly like -l -k, because as I said above -l -k doesn't respawn. It
keeps listening for new connections while connections are ongoing.

maybe you can use -rX to make ncat rewpawn in x secs.

is ther a option to toggle monitoring (snooping (-M) ) on/off (used with
the -e / -c option)?

Logging of input and output
of subprocesses? That doesn't work but is planned to be added.
nice

will the  -D option make ncat to run as deamon on win systems? If not SBD
got this future maybe ther code can help you.

it would be nice if the options (-h) are shown in alphabeticel order and if
you run "ncat" then the error message and the conetent of -h should be
shown.