Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: New Comment: Installing WinPcap Silently

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 13:34:18 -0000

Hi Brian,

Did you install WinPcap 4.1.1 from WinPcap's official installer? Or did you
run our version of the 4.1.1 installer separately? Were you using the 32-bit
or 64-bit version of Wireshark?

I'll try and look into the Wireshark issue in more detail, I know I tried
their 64-bit version recently and had trouble with dumpcap.exe crashing (I
wasn't sure if it was their fault or my fault, it was around the time they
had issues with Marvell drivers causing Wireshark to crash). It's possible
that our version of the installer doesn't do/install something that the
official version does to enable 64-bit applications to work correctly,
something that wouldn't have been spotted by us as Nmap is only 32-bit.

One thing that might be worth noting is that the silent install of WinPcap
will not modify the registry settings to allow WinPcap to start on boot (the
GUI version will ask you what to do, and makes a recommendation for Windows
7/Vista/2008 users). This means you'd need to run any programs (Nmap or
Wireshark) with admin rights in order for the npf service to start, but I
can't imagine this would cause Wireshark to crash. I'll take a closer look
once I've finished downloading 2008 R2 from Technet.

Rob