Nmap Development mailing list archives

kerberos-get-realm.nse

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 20:41:37 -0700

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 05:28:43PM +0100, Patrik Karlsson wrote:
On 22 dec 2009, at 17.50, David Fifield wrote:
It's a pity we can't use the probe that makes Windows disclose the
realm. Out of curiosity, what were the contents of the reply? Maybe it
can be made into an NSE script.

Here's a first attempt on that script. It tries to retrieve both the
realm and the server time from the error message. I have tested it
against W2K3 where it retrieves both and against Heimdal on Linux
where it only extracts the time.

The script name may be slightly misleading, but getting the realm name
is what I initially wanted to do. As always, comments, suggestions and
bug reports are welcome.

It looks good. It's too bad it only works on Windows as far as we know
so far. Getting the date is a nice thing, but service detection should
already do that. One thing you could do is print out the deviation from
local time like http-date does:

PORT   STATE SERVICE
80/tcp open  http
|_http-date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:08:31 GMT; -40d6h32m17s from local time.

Feel free to factor out that time difference–formatting code from
http-date.

I tried to test this but I couldn't figure out how to activate a
Kerberos server on Windows XP. Do you have to have a server edition or
something?

You need to document the meaning of the 0xa9 byte in
extract_kerberos_realm.

David Fifield