Nmap Development mailing list archives

GSoC Proposal: Nmap on Maemo/ Symbian

From: Sukhbir Singh <singheinstein () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:51:26 +0530

Hi everyone,

I am a CS engineering major and interested in participating in Google's
Summer of Code this year and would like to do a project with Nmap. I
undertook a course last year on 'Ethical Hacking and Network Defense'
(internship sort) from India's premier R & D institute, C-DAC
(www.cdac.in) (references
available on request) and there we used Nmap quite extensively so this would
qualify as one of the reasons why I want to work with it. It would feel
awesome to be a part of something that I have worked on.

I was going through the ideas page and came across the idea of Nmap/ Zenmap
on mobile devices. However I found there was no mention of Symbian. Symbian
is by far one of the most commonly used smartphone platforms and a Nmap/
Zenmap port on it would be great.

Also, a Qt port of Nmap/ Zenmap would work on both the platforms: Maemo
(N900) and Symbian S60 phones. This is because Qt is now used to program for
Symbian and a program written in Qt would run on whichever platform Qt
supports, so this includes Maemo and Symbian both.

So if we were to port Nmap/ Zenmap using Qt, it would run on Maemo and
Symbian with just slight modifications.

The benefits to Nmap are of course obvious. And the best part is that I can
do both the ports in three months. You would have Nmap ports on two widely
used platforms!

Let me know your views on this. I am sorry but I don't have any development
experience to show you (just started with third year of my degree) except
hobbyist programs and projects in C++ which I did as part of my university's
curriculum. If you want a prototype or something, I can provide that. I also
happen to own a Nokia E63 which I can use for testing. The Maemo part can be
tested on the emulator provided by the Maemo SDK.

--
Sukhbir Singh