Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Latest dist v5.2

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 19:49:27 -0600

On 1/21/2010 6:37 PM, Fyodor wrote:
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 09:19:51AM -0600, Ron wrote:

So my question is, what do we do? The best bet might be to include
nmap_service.exe separately. When somebody runs the script the first
time, it checks if the file exists (and maybe checks the hash of the
file, too, to make sure it wasn't tampered/deleted/etc), and then does
the upload/etc. If the file doesn't exist, the user is told to download
it from somewhere else.

The other option is to tell the a/v vendor to cut it out, but I can't
see that working. :)

Opinions?

Hi Ron.  I have received a report or two about this, so I compiled a
little bit of information:

One screenshot sent to me showed Astaro Security Gateway refusing the
download because nmap-5.20-setup.exe supposedly matched
"ADSPY/AdSpy.Gen".  That signature seems to be from the Avira AntiVir
antivirus software and is described here:

http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/fulldetails/id_vir/3906/adspy_adspy.gen.html

Note that it is "A generic detection routine designed to detect common
family characteristics" of adware/spyware/viruses.

Interestingly, an nmap-5.20-setup.exe analysis from VirusTotal doesn't
raise any flags:

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/6699d317cd85de68886631f3f2f44f26884491952809482a65bf8070890bddd9-1264033632

But with just nmap_services.exe, two products flag it as a virus
(AntiVir 7.9.1.146 and McAfee GW Edition 6.8.5):

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/a15a993f4fd85a0e3104727c201dd571498191ac0d2842f96058fdd2be5db193-1264100266

Those two are probably sharing the same signature.

I agree with people that the best way to resolve this would be for the
Antivirus makers to fix the signature so it no longer flags on
nmap_services.exe, and then upgrade all their users.

But realistically, that would most likely be more work for us and take
longer than changing the Nmap package to no longer cause the alerts.
Fortunately, AntiVir isn't detecting Nmap proper, but just this
relatively obscure file.  I think the best solutions I've heard so far
are:

o Remove nmap_services.exe and just provide a link to it when needed
   (I can host it on nmap.org somewhere).

o Or ship an encoded version which is decoded on the fly.

Those should solve the immediate issue.  Then if anyone wants to try
filing bug reports against the AV vendors related to the 5.20
packages, I'm all for it!  If the AV vendors actually take heed, we
may be able to return the file to its full, packaged, unencoded glory.

I'm considering making a 5.21 release in the next week which consists
of just 5.20 plus resolves the few material issues which have come up.
So far the list of candidates issues are:

o The HTTP pipelining bug fixed by David this morning
o The AV false positive issue

Cheers,
Fyodor

You may also want to test and see what happens when you remove the .exe on
the end.  Some AV only scans executables by default...

Tom