Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: MongoDB scripts

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:33:21 -0700

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 09:15:00PM +0100, Martin Holst Swende wrote:
I have put together some scripts for gathering info from MongoDB.
MongoDB is a NOSQL database (http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Home )

From the home-page :
"MongoDB (from "humongous") is a scalable, high-performance, open
source, schema-free, document-oriented database. "

It runs normally over port 27017, but has no probe or matchline (no
existing probe triggers any response).

The scripts I have written are :
- bson.lua library for handling BSon (binary json) - not complete (some
data types not implemented)
- mongodb.lua library for speaking mongodb's binary protocol
- mongodb-query.nse - script which does some basic info-getting, build
info, uptime and version information.
- mongodb-get-tables.nse - script which gets tables info from the db.

Thanks, these scripts have nice output. Here are my thoughts from
looking over your code.

Is BSON used in anything besides MongoDB? If not, I think the BSON
functions should be moved into mongodb.lua so that only one new library
is added.

The name mongodb-query, to me, sounds like it's a script that will run a
general database query. The script really retrieves the server status
and build info. (Even though it does this, if I understand the code
correctly, by sending a couple of special queries.) I suggest renaming
this script to mongodb-info.

And what about renaming mongodb-get-tables to mongodb-databases? It is
using the listDatabases command after all. That would fit with my
proposed name mysql-databases for a script by Patrik Karlsson.

David Fifield

P.S. For anyone else reading, this is what I did to retrieve Martin's
scripts:

hg clone http://martin.swende.se/hgwebdir.cgi/nsescripts/