Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap 5.21 sends protocol unreachable

From: Derek <depierjack () msn com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:17:52 -0500

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 64-bit and I was curious about how internet hosts would respond to the three different ICMP
pings that nmap supports, I also had wireshark running while performing these pings. I noticed that after receiving a
reply, I would see ICMP Protocol Unreachable packets being sent to the replying host from my machine, while using the
windows ping program this did not happen so I am assuming nmap is sending these packets. So my question is why is nmap
doing this and if not nmap, why is it happening. I have the nmap network scanning book and I don't recall reading
anything about nmap sending this type of packet, but actually looking for this type of response when performing an IP
protocol scan. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Derek