Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncat 5.10BETA handling of -l -p is not compatible with nc-1.10

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:48:05 -0600

On 01/11/2010 02:50 AM, Jon Kibler wrote:
Like many pen testers, I have used Hobbit's nc for so many years that I
cannot remember when I first started using it. When I saw ncat was
available, I decided to try it, since it appeared that there would now
be a fully supported netcat available from a very reliable source.

However, as soon as I started to run into syntax differences, I
immediately dropped it (I had just created an alias of nc=ncat). During
a pen test there simply isn't time to stop and think "new program,
different syntax." Old habits die hard.

I have heard several other pen testers express the same opinion. Please
change the program to be compatible with the original nc! Whereas you
may think the syntax change is an improvement, it is not -- at least not
to long time nc users.

Finally, I have to ask this -- and this is not a flame, I am just
curious from a human factors standpoint: For how many years had you used
nc on a daily basis before rewriting it into ncat? (I suspect not many,
or at least not as a daily user. Otherwise, I don't think it would have
even occurred to your to change the syntax.)

Thanks in advance for making the two programs syntactically compatible!

Jon K

I actually agree with that, in many ways. Having to re-learn commands for a clone is typically annoying enough that I stick with the original unless there's a compelling reason (I do use Ncat when I need --ssl, among other things).

I would say that, where possible and where it wouldn't break other things, the commands and syntax from any of the previous versions should be implemented in addition to the new ways.

Fortunately, that's pretty much what David/Fyodor agreed to in the first place -- supporting both methods of passing the arguments. So, life's good? :)

Ron