Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap bug - Doesn't folow static route

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:20:20 -0700

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 08:37:38AM -0500, Jay Fink wrote:
It would be better to get this directly from the system routing table,
but I haven't found out how to do that on platforms that don't have
/proc/net/route.

libdnet can do this with route_get() - conversely if you want to see
the fun details under libdnet-stripped/src/route-* has examples on
various platforms.

 route_get() retrieves the routing table entry for the destination prefix
     specified by route_dst.

I looked at that, and actually we use route_loop on non-Linux platforms,
but the struct returned by that function is

struct route_entry {
        struct addr     route_dst;      /* destination address */
        struct addr     route_gw;       /* gateway address */
};

It doesn't have the gateway bit, the "G" flag in netstat. It looks like
this bit is called RTF_GATEWAY.

David Fifield