Nmap Development mailing list archives

[BUG] add_dns_server() adds bogus IPv4 nameserver address

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:10:49 +0000

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get to the bottom of a bug and I'm posting because I've a
feeling that someone will instantly recognise the problem. Hopefully.
I found it with:
nmap -sP -PN -n -d --script=asn-query <host>

NSE: dns.query() got zero responses attempting to resolve query:
<tsoh>.nmap.asn.cymru.com

The dns server contacted is _always_ 2.0.0.0

The issue seems to stem somewhere in nmap_dns.cc add_dns_server() after
dns.lua requests a list of nameservers known to nmap.
More specifically the call to resolve() doesn't fail, but the
sockaddr_storage is incorrectly filled (there are two null chars
preceding the IPv4 address).  This happens in tcpip.cc resolve() in the
call to getaddrinfo(), but for the life of me, I cannot tell why.

This happens on both win32 and linux.

Thoughts?

Regards,

jah