Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Better compression for the Windows installer

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 18:04:03 -0700

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 06:37:36PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:

How does this sound? At the end of this message is the output of
makensis.exe using the different options.

It sounds wonderful!  Thanks for testing.  As you know from our
investigation today, the Nmap Windows executables are the biggest
bandwidth hogs on the site.  I like the idea of enabling this on the
Pcap installer too if it helps.

LZMA is probably most famous for its use in the 7-Zip 7z format.
Maybe sometime we'll distribute Nmap in 7z format too.  I just
installed p7zip (http://sourceforge.net/projects/p7zip/) and here are
the sizes for the Nmap 5.30BETA1 package:

41082880 nmap-5.30BETA1.tar
12965256 nmap-5.30BETA1.tgz
11273966 nmap-5.30BETA1.tar.bz2
10005965 nmap-5.30BETA1.tar.7z

That is greater than an 11% reduction in the bz2 size for the 7z.  It
almost even beat the 10MB mark!  Too bad my "tar" can't deal with
it.

Cheers,
-F