Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSEDoc @output for auth-spoof.nse

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 13:35:52 -0700

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 02:12:08AM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:

Well here is the output as the script stands now:

Thanks, Brandon.

First, we should name this script "ident-spoof" rather than
"auth-spoof".  It is much more commonly referred to as ident now and
"auth-spoof" sounds like we are spoofing some sort of authorization.

I agree, though it is important to note that Nmap still uses "auth" as
the name of the service.  But Nmap also calls port 53 "domain" even
though our script prefix is "dns".  So there is precedent for this
sort of inconsistency.  I'm still tempted to change "domain" to "dns"
in nmap-services someday.

Your other suggestions sound good to me too!

In terms of useful NSE programming tasks enhancing auth-spoof is
probably one of the easiest.  I'm willing to dust of my rusty NSE/Lua
skills but if somebody else wants to try their hand at a bit of NSE
this is a great place to start.

If you don't get any takers, I hope you go for it!

Cheers,
-F