Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] NTP Peer Listing

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 00:26:33 +0100

On 11/04/2010 21:47, Fyodor wrote:
o Permissions.  Even if the user did want the script to be in the
  scripts/data directory as shown above, they probably won't have
  permission if it is in /usr or /usr/local and they are not root.  It
  might even be on a read-only filesystem (e.g. a central fileserver
  or Linux live CD).

Yes, bit of a showstopper that.  I hadn't considered permissions.
o As you noted, there is the issue of what to do if the file already
  exists.

Offering to write a file if the user passes the path as an argument
(as you suggested), sounds reasonable.  But by default I think it is
better to put the information in Nmap's normal and/or XML output.  I
kind of like the idea of putting a summary in normal Nmap output (and
in the XML), while also being able to provide larger results only in
the XML.  NSE doesn't currently support that, but maybe it should.

I'll go with that.  An argument to allow writing to a file, but
defaulting to the usual output mechanism.
I like the idea of being able to output a short summary to normal output
and full results in the XML.  For a script such as monlist, or any other
that generates a sizeable set of hosts, it would also be great if Nmap
could then read the xml back, -iL style.  Maybe something like that
would be better suited to Zenmap where one could exert more control over
which targets are selected.

Thanks for the sanity check and the input!

jah