Nmap Development mailing list archives

Status Report #1 of 15

From: "bL@dY_j0k3R" <bladyjoker () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 01:27:17 +0200

Greetings everyone!
I think a brief introductions are in order. My name is Dražen and I
study Computer Science at University of Zagreb, Croatia. I'll be writing
NSE scripts concerning SMB and MS-RPC protocols. As such I'll be
following the footsteps of one Ron Bowes, who layed the NSE foundation
in mentioned protocols. I admit, it's a bit overwhelming and scary to
work with such experts and professionals, but it will provide me with
lots of motivation.
I started my Open Source journey with OpenVAS, developing NASL NVTs and
playing around with NASL interpreter. Hope my experience with OpenVAS
will be of use to NMAP and vice versa.
It's a great honor and a privilege to be working with, without
exaggeration, the legendary NMAP and it's creators...hope I won't fail
you. ;)

Accomplishments:
      * Subscribed to nmap-dev () insecure org, soc () insecure org lists.
      * Downloaded NMAP official SVN trunk, created /nmap-exp/drazen and
        stuffed it with nmap/nselib and nmap/scripts.
      * Glanced over Ron's msrpc and smb scripts.
      * Collected relevant knowledge sources:
              * "Implementing CIFS", Hertel. [read]
              * "CIFS Tehnical Reference", SNIA. [read]
              * "DCE 1.1: Remote Procedure Call", The Open Group. [read
                and almost shot myself in the process]
              * "MS-RPC", Jean-Baptiste Marchand.
              * "[MS-RPCE]: Remote Procedure Call Protocol Extensions",
                MSDN library.
              * "Impacket DCE/RPC, SMB", Python DCERPC and SMB
                implementation. [read]
              * "Metasploit Ruby DCE/RPC, SMB", Ruby DCERPC and SMB
                implementation. [read]
              * "OpenVAS", lots of SMB, DCERPC related scripts. [read]
              * "SAMBA 4-0, TNG", great source when you get to know it.
                [read and almost hung myself in the process]
              * "The NMAP Book", Fyodor. [thanks]

Priorities:
      * Get my priorities in order. (o.0)
      * Faculty duties.
      * Prepare for SoC: master Lua, get more familiar with NSE, list,
        describe and discuss my ideas on nmap-dev.

P.S. Sorry for the delay. Sent it from a non-subscribed e-mail first.

--
Laboratory for Systems and Signals
Department of Electronic Systems and Information Processing