Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: DNS resolution not working with RPM installation on Fedora-12 x86_64

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 20:20:41 -0600

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 11:50:17AM -0700, Bert Sutherland wrote:
I recently completed a net install of Fedora 12 x86_64 and I noticed
that all of the instances of nmap installed via RPM package were
unable to perform DNS resolution.  I tested this with both 32-bit and
64-bit RPM installers for nmap 5.30BETA1 and neither were able to do
DNS lookup.  I had no better luck with the nmap 5.21 64-bit installer
either.  I don't know if this might have anything to do with the fact
that this was on a laptop using a wireless connection; probably not,
but maybee....

However, DSN resolution worked in all cases where I downloaded and
compiled the .tar.bz2 source.  Please see the console session below
for further detail.

Please check out this thread. We got a report of DNS not working on
Fedora until the nscd service was started. It's caused by some
incompatibility between the system that builds the RPMs and the host
that runs them, but it's not solved yet.

DNS broken in 5.21
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q1/308
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q1/319
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q1/344