Nmap Development mailing list archives

UDP Reporting issues

From: Wolf Halton <saphil () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 09:43:55 -0700 (PDT)

I have read that reporting for UDP has been "normalized" to show open | filtered when the -sU test is run "to keep
terrified newbies from panicking because they think they have bo2k."  I did a test recently on a UNIX box that had a
firewall rule for UDP ports set to drop silently all incoming, not requested, packets.  The test took a long long time
and returned most of the tested ports as open | filtered with trinoo controllers and bo2k.  I am not a newbie, and this
reporting behavior isn't very useful.  Running NMap 5 on Kubuntu 10.04.  Is there a simple way to set the behavior to
ignore non-responsive ports instead of returning trinoo and bo2k on open | filtered ports?

Wolf Halton

---------