Nmap Development mailing list archives

Java API for NMap

From: Jon Svede <jsvede () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 22:39:09 -0600

I recently left a job where I had to integrate NMap into a Java based product. I was disappointed that no such API existed already, even though I have seen postings going back a while asking over and over if any such API existed.

Therefore, I am thinking about writing an open source library as a wrapper around NMap to simplify integrating NMap with Java applications. As such I am looking for suggestions and features people might like to see in such an API.

Currently, here is the list of features I am thinking about:

- Provide a wrapper implementation around NMap in Java
- Execution of NMap both synchronously and asynchronously (from the Java side) - Parsing NMap output (XML format) both inline or just the XML (i.e., the ability to parse historical data)
- Persistence of NMap data to relational database

In my previous role, we were running NMap simply to do host and service discovery (more or less like nmap -sV -O -p ,etc) , so my desired feature set is probably heavily geared toward that. However, I recognize that there are other ways of using NMap that other Java based applications and products would want, so before I code too much I'd appreciate suggestions on what would be useful.

I won't necessarily guarantee that all the suggestions will be incorporated, but none the less I'd like to get some outside ideas on what would be useful to others.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions you can offer.

Sincerely,

Jon