Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Pauldotcom] dealing with nmap XML and NSE output

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 06:18:56 -0500

On Mon, 31 May 2010 20:52:07 -0400 Chris Teodorski
<chris.teodorski () gmail com>  wrote:
All,

I've been beating my head against the wall for the better part of a
week trying to find someway to deal with a large NMAP XML file (33
megs).  None of the already written stuff seems to handle NSE output,
which is an absolute must for this project.  Before I go down the
rabbit hole of trying to write my own (I'm a HORRIBLE programmer) does
anyone know of an already existing method for parsing these XML files
that handles NSE output?

Thanks for all your help,

Chris Teodorski

On 6/1/10 3:18 AM, Rob Nicholls wrote:
> For the last 6+ months I've been using Kris Katterjohn's Ruby Nmap Parser
> Library: http://rubynmap.sourceforge.net/
>
> I presume Chris tried the old Perl version by Anthony G Persaud, which
> doesn't support NSE as it hasn't been updated in a couple of years.
>
> Rob

I second Rob's comments.  I have been using Katterjohn's code for over a
year and it has been very useful.  I would strongly recommend though that
you make sure that you are using Ruby 1.9.1.  The speed increase with that
version of Ruby is amazing ( 90% decrease in query time in my tests ).
Folks using Metasploit have also seen this speed increase.

That being said, are you trying to get at the result set from a specific
NSE script?

Tom