Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Ncat] I'd like to contribute a feature

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:52:40 -0600

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 12:00:48AM +0200, miniBill wrote:
The feature I'd like to contribute is this:
a switch that tells ncat to run the program
specified with --sh-exec or --exec only once,
and pipe all the inputs and outputs through it.

What I need is general ideas on how to start
working on nmap code, and how things are organized
in the ncat source dir :-)

Thanks for your interest! Please help us understand what you have in
mind by showing some example command lines and explaining how they will
work. A use case, a real-world problem that this will solve, is good
too.

You will want to refer to this documentation for getting the source
code.

http://nmap.org/book/install.html#inst-svn
http://nmap.org/book/inst-source.html

As for code organization, --sh-exec and --exec are handled in the files
ncat_posix.c and ncat_exec_win.c. Whatever changes you make should work
on both POSIX and Windows. With luck, you'll only have to use the netrun
and netexec function, which are already abstracted.

David Fifield