Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [patch] Oracle Enterprise Manager Agent cleanup

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 14:39:52 -0700

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 09:11:31PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:

I think we should have a shortport function for detecting http
services in any case.  And if we do that anyway, it would be easy to
add the services which we know use http.  If desired, we could note
that the services are http-based in nmap-services and/or the extrainfo
field of nmap-service-probes.

Agreed. Some options for the interface are

portrule = shortport.http
portrule = shortport.special("http")
portrule = http.portrule

I don't have a strong opinion, but I think I like shortport.http best.
http.portrule is problematic because we might want to extend this
approach to other services, and we may not have specific libraries for
them.  So we'd either lose consistency or have to create a library
just for the servicename.portrule.  Shortport.special is OK and might
be preferable if we were going to have 50+ of these functions.  But I
don't forsee very many, and it would be kind of nice to have them
individually documented in nsedoc, so I like shortport.http a bit
better.

Cheers,
-F