Nmap Development mailing list archives

Ncrack 0.2 Alpha - SSH behaviour

From: "Mike Westmacott" <mike.westmacott () irmplc com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:49:13 +0100

Hi,

I've been testing ncrack 0.2 and have found some behavior where for some
wordlists it will report that a password failed even though it is the
correct one yet on others it will be ok.

This may be related to the overall size of the wordlist and also to the
parallelicty in effect. I was testing against DeICE 1.100 with a
username/password that is found as part of the testing against that VM
(I will avoid divulging this info on the list!). I was using a 3.3mb
wordlist which also contains some symbolic and alphanumeric passwords.
If I extract all words that begin with the same letter as the password
then I get a match. If I concat that file together to make it >3.3mb it
still works. If I put the password at various intervals throughout the
original password file it doesn't match (indeed it writes the login
failed) - even when it's the first password.  By removing parallelism
the problem went away. I was only ever testing against 1 explicit user.

I can put together a tar of options, results, debug output and the
dictionary files - please let me know if you would like to see the
results.

Overall though I was hugely impressed by the speed although found
tweaking the retry delay was essential to getting it working ok (or
maybe I was being confused by the problem I have just described - not
sure :)

Best regards,

Mike

Mike Westmacott |  Security Consultant

Information Risk Management Plc

www.irmplc.com <http://www.irmplc.com/>

Disclaimer
Any advice prepared and/or services undertaken by Information Risk Management Plc. ("IRM") are strictly private and
confidential, and may also be protected by legal privilege.
This email is intended only for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient you may not copy,
disclose to anyone else or otherwise use the content of this email and/or any attachment and should return them to the
sender immediately and delete them from your system.
Non-business related content is not authorised by IRM and we shall not be liable for it.
Where relevant, any quotation contained within this email is exclusive of VAT at the current rate and valid for 30 days
from the date of this email, unless specified to the contrary. IRM does not authorise the creation of contracts on its
behalf by email.
All attachments have been scanned for viruses using regularly updated programs. IRM cannot accept liability for any
damage you incur as a result of virus infection. The contents of this email reflect the opinions of the author only.
It is your responsibility to notify IRM immediately of any changes in circumstances which could render any information
previously provided to be inaccurate or which would otherwise have a bearing on the advice being rendered and/or
services being performed. IRM does not accept any liability for inaccuracies, errors, losses, damages, failures, any
missed timelines or problems which arise as a result of you not providing accurate, complete and timely information
and/or instructions.
IRM is a publicly owned company registered in England and Wales under Registration Number 03612719. A list of
directors' names is available for inspection at our registered office. Information about IRM is available from
www.irmplc.com.