Nmap Development mailing list archives

Error readling file containing IP address

From: Pat Aud <secsys33 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 22:42:41 +0200

Hello,

I tested under Linux and Windows and discovered something strange in
nmap 5.35-DC1 using a file containing a list of IP address.

Example of file : ipliste.txt

192.168.1.1
192.168.1.5

Command line : nmap -iL ipliste.txt

Error message :
Invalid character in host specification.  Note in particular that
square brackets [] are no longer allowed.  They were redundant and can
simply be removed.
QUITTING!

Workaround :
Under Linux, the ipliste.txt file is UTF-8 encoded with BOM (Byte Order Mark).
If I remove BOM, I don't have anymore the message. I used Geany editor
to remove BOM.

Under Windows, if I use an UTF-8 or UCS-2 LE file, I have the same
message. If I converted the file in ANSI, I don't have anymore the
problem.

Any idea ? Is it a bug ?

Is it possible to known the limitations regarding address, hostnames files.

Thanks for your help,

SecSys33{at}gmai{dot}com