Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap release schedule/plan/rationale

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:23:57 -0500

Hey list,

A big thanks to everyone who contributes and produces Nmap, my favorite security tool by far. I realize that managing bug reports, new features, and suggestions from a ton of contributors must take a lot of work, and I appreciate it.

My question: Does the Nmap project have a release plan, or a rationale for how to decide when to make a release? I use the SVN repository for my own testing, but for work I have to use stable releases. Reading the changelog and this list makes me excited to use new features in my daily work, so I'd probably want more releases than is probably prudent.

In a very related note, I don't believe the project has a process for issuing "bugfix" releases, which I think could be helpful. Oftentimes bug reports are given and answered with, "That was fixed in rXXXXX." I'm not as familiar with subversion, but I know other VCSs like git have the ability to "cherry-pick" commits from other branches, which can be used to apply bugfixes to a stable branch for bugfix-only releases, without hindering new feature development. Has there been any discussion about a similar workflow for the Nmap project?

Thanks,
Dan